Whether you’re captivated by the serenity of a waterfall at Ricketts Glen State Park, the nostalgic joy of apple picking at local orchards, or the bustling cultural life at the F.M. Kirby Center, there’s plenty to do in and around Wilkes-Barre.
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, is a charming city with much to offer visitors, especially during this time of year. The city is located in the heart of the Wyoming Valley, surrounded by rolling hills and forests. In the fall, the leaves turn brilliant shades of red, orange, and yellow, creating a truly breathtaking sight.
Whether you’re looking for a family-friendly getaway, a romantic weekend, or an adventurous outdoor escape, Wilkes-Barre has something to offer everyone.
- Take a drive out to Ricketts Glen State Park. Ricketts Glen State Park is a must-see for anyone visiting Wilkes-Barre in the fall. The park is home to numerous waterfalls, including the iconic Ganoga Falls, as well as several hiking trails, ranging from easy to challenging. It’s the perfect place to soak up the season before snow hits.
- Go apple picking at one of the many local orchards. Wilkes-Barre is surrounded by apple orchards, so there’s no shortage of places to go apple picking in the fall. Some popular orchards include Brace’s Orchard, Grassy Ridge Farms, Heller Orchard, and Miller’s Orchards Farm Market.
- Take a walk or bike ride across the Market Street Bridge. The Market Street Bridge is a historic bridge that offers stunning views of the Susquehanna River and the surrounding city. It’s a great place to enjoy being outside and snap some stunning Instagram photos on a fall day.
- See a show at the F.M. Kirby Center for the Performing Arts. The F.M. Kirby Center is a state-of-the-art performing arts center that hosts a variety of shows throughout the year, including Broadway musicals, concerts, and comedy shows. In the fall of 2023, it has a mariachi band, an Elvis tribute, and a ballet version of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs on the calendar. Make this local favorite the center of your next date night.
- Have dinner at one of the many great restaurants in Wilkes-Barre. Wilkes-Barre has a number of excellent options for a dinner with your family, friends, and loved ones. Some popular options include Isabella Restaurant and Bar, and Kevin’s Bar and Restaurant, which has seasonal favorites like pumpkin and butternut squash bisque.
- Take a walk through Kirby Park. Kirby Park is a beautiful park located in the heart of Wilkes-Barre. It’s a great place to take a walk or bike ride around the lake with your significant other on a cool fall day.
- Visit the Susquehanna Brewing Company. The Susquehanna Brewing Company is a local brewery that offers a variety of craft beers on tap. It’s a great place to enjoy a seasonal drink (like the delicious Spiced Apple Crisp ale) and some good conversation.
- Go hiking at one of the many state parks in the area. In addition to Ricketts Glen State Park, there are several other state parks in the Wilkes-Barre area, including Frances Slocum State Park and Nescopeck State Park. Both parks offer hiking trails with stunning views of the fall foliage.
This story was generated in part by AI and edited by The Keystone staff.