The Lower Food & Fuel Costs Act passed the US House despite all nine of Pennsylvania’s GOP representatives voting against it.
The national average price for gas in January was $3.28 per gallon. As of Friday, it was $5.
Families are feeling the strain on their wallets at the grocery store too as eggs are up nearly 23% from a year ago. Meat, poultry, and fish have risen by about 15% and dairy and related products have also spiked more than 8%.
As gas and grocery prices continue to rise in the commonwealth and across the country, all nine of Pennsylvania’s Republican congressmen voted against the Lower Food & Fuel Costs Act passed by the US House this week.
The comprehensive package aims to lower prices at the pump and grocery store by providing farmers with the necessary resources to help consumers.
The bill aims to:
- Decrease grocery store prices by lowering fertilizer costs
- Lower meat and poultry prices by increasing meatpacking competition and capacity
- Lower gas prices by producing more available, cheaper, and cleaner unleaded fuel
- Improve the food supply chain
“Fighting inflation and lowering costs for America’s working families is one of my top priorities.” said US Rep. Chrissy Houlahan in a Twitter thread. “Let’s get this done for families across the country.”
The bill now goes to the US Senate for consideration.
Who Voted Against the Lower Food & Fuel Costs Act?
- Brian Fitzpatrick (R-Bucks)
- John Joyce (R-Blair)
- Fred Keller (R-Snyder)
- Mike Kelly (R-Butler)
- Dan Meuser (R-Luzerne)
- Scott Perry (R-York)
- Guy Reschenthaler (R-Allegheny)
- Lloyd Smucker (R-Lancaster)
- Glenn Thompson (R-Centre)
Full Pennsylvania Congressional Roll Call
- Brendan F. Boyle (D-Philadelphia) Yea
- Matt Cartwright (D-Lackawanna) Yea
- Madeleine Dean (D-Montgomery) Yea
- Michael F. Doyle (D-Allegheny) Yea
- Dwight Evans (D-Philadelphia) Yea
- Brian Fitzpatrick (R-Bucks) Nay
- Chrissy Houlahan (D-Chester) Yea
- John Joyce (R-Blair) Nay
- Fred Keller (R-Snyder) Nay
- Mike Kelly (R-Butler) Nay
- Conor Lamb (D-Allegheny) Yea
- Dan Meuser (R-Luzerne) Nay
- Scott Perry (R-York) Nay
- Guy Reschenthaler (R-Allegheny) Nay
- Mary Gay Scanlon (D-Delaware) Yea
- Lloyd Smucker (R-Lancaster) Nay
- Glenn Thompson (R-Centre) Nay
- Susan Wild (D-Lehigh) Yea